Tuesday, February 2, 2010

el reino de este mundo (2nd half)

The second half of Capentier’s El Reino de Este Mundo was just as enjoyable to read as the first half with the introduction to some new characters. Capentier’s magical realism explores a nation’s independence and freedom. What I really enjoyed was the strength in his narrative and being able to describe the historical context of a time of transition and self-discovery of a new nation and its new found freedoms. Ti Noel is able to describe the intense atmosphere of Haiti as it struggles to achieve its independence and the battle with the discriminating classes who control the power. It helped guide me further into the direction that Carpentier was taking his characters and the ultimate conclusion with Pauline’s fate. This section is what really began to draw me further into his narration and trying to interpret the character development. Although it was a little difficult at times to follow the meanings of the terminology that was being used, I was able to get the underlying feeling and direction of where Capentier was trying to make me see and feel I have enjoyed analyzing Carpentier’s fascinating writing style which was a bit difficult to read but with some help I was able to visualize being brought to a time that Carpentier had envisioned and created to put a perspective on the events that had taken place.

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad you like the pics :)
    I agree with you in that I also found the second half of the book much more engaging than the first half somehow! Still a little hard to grasp sometimes though. I guess it might be harder to visualize because his descriptions seem to focus more on emotions or feelings or the magical quality of things than detailed description. He's always very ambiguous and almost metaphorical when describing the setting / scenery.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh! My first comment didn't post!! I agree with you - the second half was by far much more interesting than the first. I think this is because the first half allows you to become acquainted with the characters and the style of writing, such that the second half can be accelerated plot-wise. I found the somewhat lacking of Ti Noel's character in certain chapters to be a bit confusing, but I wonder if it was intentional - as to mix a variety of perspectives of los negros and present them under a general name.

    ReplyDelete